When I was a little girl, my mother would always make us crepes on Sundays. I also loved the smell of vanilla when my mother would make her cookies. So, I would always ask her to make her cookies, and when she refused, I would take out the vanilla and sit it next to me with the cap open, so that I could breathe the aroma. My mother get a kick out of this, and said, well, if it’s that important, we’ll add a little vanilla kick, just for you. After the first time she put the vanilla in, there was never a last…it became a tradition.
Ingredients for Vanilla Crepes
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
Instructions for Vanilla Crepes
- In a large bowl, mix together the milk, egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in the flour, sugar, salt and melted butter until well blended.
- Heat a crepe pan over medium heat until hot. Coat with vegetable oil or cooking spray. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and tip to spread the batter to the edges.
- When bubbles form on the top and the edges are dry, flip over and cook until lightly browned on the other side and edges are golden. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Fill crepes with your favorite fruit, cream, caramel or even ice cream or cheese to serve.