You won’t miss bacon in this lightened version of the classic broccoli salad. Smoked roasted walnuts take their place, adding delicious savory morsels. A slightly creamy, sweet and spicy dressing takes it all over the top.
Ingrediants for broccoli salad
- 1 pound of broccoli crowns
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise, I like Sir Kensington’s or vegan one
- 1½ tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup or honey
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt, more to taste
- ⅓ cup of diced red onions
- ⅓ cup of dried cranberries
- Smoked tamari almonds
- ½ cup of almonds
- ½ cup of pepitas
- 1 tablespoon of tamari
- ½ teaspoon of maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon of smoked paprika, more to taste
Instructions foe broccoli salad
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cut the broccoli florets into ½-inch pieces and any remaining stems into ¼-inch cubes. First peel the woody or shelled parts from the stem.
- At the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, garlic, and salt. Add the broccoli, onions and cranberries and toss to coat.
- Place the almonds and pepitas on the baking sheet, toss with the tamari, maple syrup and smoked paprika and spread in a thin layer. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes (they will become crispier as they sit).
- Mix the almonds and pepitas into the salad, saving some to sprinkle on top. Season to taste and serve.