Zarda is a Hyderabadi dessert made especially during Eid and other Muslim festivals and marriages. It is sweet rice garnished with dry fruits, saffron and khoya. You can make this delicious rice recipe on occasions like family get-togethers, kitty parties and pot lucks too.
Ingredients of Pashtooni Zarda Pulao
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp of cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp of pista
- 2 tbsp of raisins
- 4 cardamom
- 6 cloves
- 490 ml of water
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 230g of basmari rice
- 100g of caster sugar
- 1 tbsp of condensed milk
How to Make Pashtooni Zarda Pulao
- Heat half of the butter in a pan.
- Add the cashews, pistachios and raisins and roast until the cashews are a golden-brown colour.
- Add the remaining ghee to the pan and add the cardamom and cloves.
- Add the water and saffron and bring to a simmer.
- Add the rice, place a lid on the pan and cook the rice gently until almost cooked.
- Add the sugar, condensed milk and reserved raisins and toasted nuts.
- Remove from the heat and allow to sit with the lid on for a few minutes.
- Stir the rice gently before dividing between serving bowls.