One of the TASTIEST ways to eat street food is with this simple Indian veg Frankie roll dish. It is referred to as a “Indian burrito,” a “Bombay burrito,” or a “Indian wrap.”
- For toppings:
- 2 Green chilies sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons Vinegar
- ¼ cup Red onion chopped
- ¼ cup Green coriander chutney
- 2-3 tablespoons Oil for frying chapati and potato roll
- For Frankie masala:
- 2 teaspoons Red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 2 teaspoons Roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Black salt (Kala namak)
- 2 teaspoon Amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- ½ cup All purpose flour (Maida)
- ½ cup Whole wheat flour (Chapati atta)
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoon Oil
- Little more than ⅓ cup Water to knead the dough
- 1 tablespoons Oil
- ¼ inch Ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Green chili Crush ginger, garlic, green chili together into a coarse paste
- 1 tablespoons Frankie masala
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- Roosted flax seeds
- 1 ½ cups Potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped
- Sliced green chilies and vinegar combined in a bowl to make pickled green chilli topping. Set it aside.
- Boil the potatoes, Peel, mash them and add chopped onions. Create your own coriander chutney at home or purchase it at the Indian market.
- In a bowl put salt, wheat flour, and all-purpose flour in a basin. Mix thoroughly. Mix together in a basin all the spices listed under “frankie masala.” making roti and Frankie dough. Use your fingertips to stir in the oil. Then begin gradually adding water while continuing to knead the dough until it is soft and smooth. Wrap it up and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- After the resting time, knead the dough again to smooth out. Then divide into 4 equal portions. Make smooth balls and flatten it between your palm.
- Once you have few roti rolled up and ready, heat the pan on medium heat. Once hot place rolled roti. Once you see a few bubbles on top then flip and cook another side. We are partially cooking rotis. Remove it to a plate and cook rest of them similarly and keep them covered.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add crushed ginger-garlic-green chili paste. Saute for 30-40 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes away.
- Then add frankie masala and red chili powder. Lower the heat so spices do not burn.
Mix and cook for 10-20 seconds only add boiled mashed potatoes and roosted Flax seeds mix well. Turn off the stove and mix in chopped cilantro.
- Once it is cool to touch, divide it into 4 equal portions and shape into a cylindrical log.
Making veg frankie recipe:
- Add a teaspoon of oil and place the partially cooked roti and cook the both side. Apply oil and topside.
- Now Place the cooked roti on a work surface. Spread the green chutney and sprinkle frankie masala, place potato mixture on one side, sprinkle chopped onions on top. Then add a few pickled green chilies.
- Then start rolling roti from the potato roll side, and halfway through close the one side (bottom side). In short, make a roll by keeping the one side open and another bottom side closed. Now cover half with butter papper or tie it with tooth pick.