Searching for healthy meal prep recipe ideas? This low-cal one-pan chicken and beans dish ticks all the right boxes.
Ingrediants for Healthy Spanish chicken with broccoli
- 1 tablespoon of oil, high temperature oil such as avocado or grape seed oil
- 1/2 pound chicken breast or chicken tender, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 4 baby bok choy, halved or quartered, lengthwise
- ½ medium red pepper, sliced▢¼ med white onion, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- cup of cashews
- 2 teaspoons of sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of mirin (a slightly sweet rice wine) as a substitute for sake, marsala or
- sweet white wine if you can’t find it)
- ¼ cup gluten-free tamari or soy sauce, or coconut aminos for the paleo diet
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch (or arrowroot or potato starch) mixed with 3 teaspoons of water
Instructions for Healthy Spanish chicken with broccoli
- Mix the marinade ingredients and set aside.
- Have all ingredients chopped and ready to add. Dry (to prevent the vegetables from steaming).
- Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat. Drizzle with a teaspoon of oil and tilt to cover the whole pan.
- Add the broccoli to the hot pan, sauté for 2 – 3 minutes or until they turn bright green and start to get tender. Remove in a bowl.
- Add the bok choy, pepper slices, and onion slices to the pan. Saute for a few minutes until the bok choy begins to wilt and the peppers begin to boil. Transfer to a bowl with the broccoli.
- Add remaining oil, tilt to coat pan. Add the minced garlic and chicken pieces. Stir until all the chicken pieces are golden brown. Add the marinade, mix to coat completely.
- Add the sautéed vegetables back to the pan and toss to coat with the marinade.
If desired, thicken with a little cornstarch mixed with water. Next, toss in the cashews, sprinkle with sesame seeds, garnish with sliced green onions and serve.