Dal Pithi is a very popular dish from Bihar. It is made with yellow dal and wheat balls. Serve it with raita and salad.
Ingredients of Dal Pithi
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Tuvar Dal
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup green gram
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed powder
- to taste Red pepper powder
- to taste Salt
- 3-4 green peppers (chopped)
- 1 inch of ginger
- A pinch of Hing
- 1/2 teaspoon of Jeera
- as needed Desi ghee
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
How to make Dal Pithi
1. Wash the legumes properly and let them soak for about 2-3 hours before cooking.
2. Make a whole wheat dough and set aside.
3. Now add the dal with all the ingredients and cook it under pressure until two hissing sounds.
4. Meanwhile, make small balls of whole wheat dough. The size of the balls should be smaller than the size of the lemons.
5. Then take a ball, sprinkle it with dry wheat flour and roll it flat like a poori. Then bring the sides together to form a shape of flower. Prepare all the pithis in the same way.
6. Add the pithis to the dal and simmer for 10-15 minutes over low-medium heat.
7. Add some desi ghee with hing and serve hot!