Dahi kabab is my brother’s favorite. Dahi kabab is super delicious, tangy, spicy and crispy. It’s a different version of your regular kabab and it’s so much better with a mint chutney or tamarind chutney on the side.
Ingredients: (To make dahi kabab )
- Plain yogurt / curd / dahi – 2 cups
- Chickpeas / channa (cooked / canned) – 1 cup
- Ginger – a 1/2-inch coarse paste.
- Green chili -1/2 of 1 (seeds removed)
- Red chilli powder / Paprika – 1/2 teaspoon (reduce according to heat required)
- Turmeric powder – 1/3 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves – a small bunch chopped
- Salt to taste
- Dry spice powder below:
- cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – a small piece
- Cumin -1 teaspoon
- Spray cooking oil.
- Breadcrumbs to coat the kabab
- Put the yogurt on a cheesecloth / cheesecloth and tie the ends together and leave it on a colander with a bowl underneath to catch any water / whey that drains out. I keep a large piece of stone on the yogurt package to drain off the excess for at least 4 hours for best results, leave it overnight in the fridge. (We call it hanging curd)
- Drain all the water from the chickpeas, dry them with a kitchen towel. Crush them roughly. (Do not crush it completely into a dough as the dough will become too soft and difficult to handle.
- Mix all the hanging curd, chickpeas and all the spices together into a paste.
At this point the dough will be super sticky. Use an ice cream to hollow out the dough.
Spread the breadcrumbs on a plate, place a ball of dough on it and roll the dough in the breadcrumbs. Shape it into a 1/2 inch thick disc. Dust off the excess. Repeat for all the dough balls.Put it in the freezer for half an hour.
- On a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, first grease with cooking spray and carefully place the skewers, leaving a space between them for them to expand. Apply a light coating of cooking spray to prevent the kebabs from drying out.
- Preheat the oven and bake at 375 F for 13-15 minutes on one side, then flip and continue for another 15 minutes. The outside would be crisp while the inside would be slightly soft. Since everything is cooked, it is perfectly fine and that is how it should be.
- Let the kabab sit on the baking sheet to firm up for a few minutes, then remove it and serve with the dip of your choice or with raw onion rings and chutney-spiced lime wedges. green.Keeps well in the refrigerator for two days.
Note: the dough is super sticky, so if you have trouble shaping, add finely torn pieces of bread. This will help absorb the extra moisture and hold the shape well.