Bajra is very popular in North India specially in the states of Gujarat, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh. Bajra Khichdi is healthy and give warmth and energy for the cold weather.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
Ingredients of Bajra Khichdi
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 green chilli – chopped
- ½ cup bajra
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup moong dal
How To Make Bajra Khichdi
- Take ½ cup bajra in a grinder jar and grind the bajra coarsely.
- Now add water and stir.
- Wait for some seconds. The fine husk particles will be seen floating on the top of water. Discard the water slowly from the bowl. Repeat this process twice or thrice.
- Rinse moong dal a couple of times in water. Then soak in enough water.
Making Bajra Khichdi
- Heat ghee in pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Add finely chopped ginger and 1 green chili, chopped, fry for a few seconds.
- Then add the bajra. mix the bajra well. Keep on stirring as the bajra sticks at the bottom of the cooker.
- Add turmeric powder and hing. Mix again. Put water and salt as per taste.
- Cook for 4 to 5 whistles on medium flame.
- Drain all the water from the moong dal and add in the pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups water.
Cooking Bajra Khichdi
Cook for 7 to 8 whistles on medium flame.
Stir again very well. In case if bajra khichdi looks thick, then add some more water and simmer on low flame stirring continuously.
Serve bajra khichdi hot with a side accompaniment of chaas (buttermilk), kadhi or with fresh curd.